And raised £1,408!
Thank you to everyone…
Thank you to everyone who has donated or sponsored me. All the sponsorship pledges are in and donations now total £1,408. All proceeds to the Snowdonia Society’s work.
How to donate
- on JustGiving.com/CanSaveCarbon
- on the donation page of our website
- by bank transfer to: HSBC Llanrwst, Snowdonia Society/Cymdeithas Eryri: 80755230 40-30-18 (please give your surname and ‘cans’ as a reference)
- by cheque payable to ‘Snowdonia Society’ sent to our Caban address
- in cash at the Snowdonia Society office.
3,620 cans generated £18 as scrap
The 3,620 aluminium cans have been sold to a scrap metal merchant for recycling. The final weight was 61kg, 6kg more than anticipated which at 30p/kg, generated £18.30 towards the cause.
During my challenge I was very heartened to meet so many other people who also pick up litter, some openly, like Geoffrey from Bontnewydd, and many others preferring not to promote what they are doing. In addition several people have told me they have started picking up discarded drinks cans, in particular!
Do we need deposits on drinks containers?
A report by Keep Wales Tidy suggests recycling rates could reach 99% if such a measure was introduced alongside doorstep recycling. Deposit return schemes are currently being discussed by the Welsh Government. (Read my blog post)
- If you know anyone who might be inspired by this effort, please share this page.
- Or why not do the the same in your own area, or adopt a patch to keep litter free?
- Press Gwynedd Council to separate and recycle the litter their street cleaners pick up instead of land-filling it
- Join one of the Snowdonia Society’s litter-picking days.
- If you are concerned about marine plastic litter, take the Marine Conservation Society’s June Plastic Challenge.
- Finally, how do we help change the litter dropping habit?